The Great Sandy Desert is the second largest desert in the whole of Australia and is one of Australia's many deserts. It is located in Western Australia and a little bit extends into the Northern Territory. The desert is said to be about 284,993km2 in size although lots of different sources of information will give you different sizes. About 75% of the desert is said to be in Western Australia while the other 25% is located in Northern Territory. It is the second largest desert in the whole of Australia (the biggest being the Great Victorian Desert) and the further inland you go you only find more deserts, the Tanami Desert to the east and the Gibson Desert to the south. The famous rock, Uluru (Ayers Rock) is located in the far south corner of the Great Sandy Desert where the Tanami Desert, Gibson Desert and Great Sandy Desert all meet together.